Peel Home
Inspections, Inc.
MOLD... Literally, a growing
concern.  National media
attention has alerted the
public to the destructive and
possibly  toxic dangers of
hidden mold spores that
could affect their family's  
health and their homes.  
EPA
studies indicate that air
levels of indoor pollutants
may be two to three times
higher than outdoor levels.
 
Mold, the most dangerous
offender of all, often goes
undetected because of its
invisibility.  Most people
spend as much as 85% of
their time indoors and are
not aware of the health
hazards created by this
pollutant.  You owe it to
yourself to minimize your
exposure to mold spores in
the indoor environment.  
Have your home tested for
mold today!
How Can Someone Be
Exposed To Mold?
There are several ways you can
become exposed to mold:
~ Breathing in the spores from the air

~Skin contact from handling an item with
mold growing on it

~ Eating without properly washing your
hands after handling moldy objects

~ Disturbing areas (floorings and walls)
that contain mold or mold spores
Mold can be found in several areas in the home
environment.
 It appears most often in moist
areas as little black circles or thread-like white
objects.  It is usually accompanied with a
musty-type odor.
 Outdoors, mold plays a
natural part in the environment by breaking
down dead organic matter such as dead trees
or fallen leaves.  Mold reproduces by means of
microscopic spores; the spores are invisible to
the naked eye and float through the indoor and
outdoor air.  Mold begins to grow indoors when
mold spores land on surfaces that are wet or
damp.   

Some Examples:  Basements, crawlspaces,
kitchens, around bathroom vanities, laundry
areas, underside of carpet padding, wall
surfaces where condensation forms (behind
furniture), ceilings and top sides of ceiling tiles,
both sides of drywall and wallpaper or paneling,
inside HVAC systems and ductwork, clothing
and food.
Where Is Mold Found In The Home?
Can MOLD Cause Health Problems?
Mold has the potential to cause health problems and even make a home uninhabitable.  
However, everyone is affected differently when in contact with mold.  The mold that may not
bother the seller may severely affect the buyer.  Some mold can produce allergens, irritants
and, in some cases, potentially toxic chemical substances known as mycotoxins.  People
who are sensitive and exposed to mycotoxins can become ill.  
Allergic reactions to mold are
common.  They can be immediate or delayed.  People diagnosed with allergies and asthma
may be very sensitive to mold.
 Mold can even cause asthma attacks.  Others at risk may
include: infants, children, the elderly, immune compromised patients, pregnant women and
individuals with existing respiratory conditions.
With exposure, even in small amounts, mold may cause the following:
~ Itching or irritation of the nose, eyes, throat or skin
~ Mysterious skin rashes
~
Sinus infections or congestion/sinusitis (runny nose)
~ Respiratory problems (sneezing & coughing)
~ Upper or lower respiratory infections
~ Trouble concentrating, memory lapses, confusion
~ Fatigue
~
Frequent headaches
~ Mood swings, anxiety, depression
~ Chronic aches and pains
~ Digestive problems
Ryan M. Peel, CMI
706-868-8886
Our office is certified through the
International Assoc. of Certified
Indoor Air Consultants
to perform
MoldInvestigations and sampling.
 
Using the most up to date equipment
and knowledge, we will take indoor
air-samples and/or test swabs to
determine the types of molds within
your home as well as the quantity.  
All
lab work is performed by an
accredited lab
with turn around
results in as quickly as 48 hours.  

Air sampling is $125.00 per sample.  
An exterior sample is required to
provide a control and we recommend
one interior sample for each 1,000
sq/ft of living space.

Swab or tape sampling is $100.00 per
sample.  These samples are
performed where visible mold is a
concern.  A sample is taken at each
substrate where mold is found.  This
test is to determine the species of
molds and what potential health risks
they may cause.
What We Can Do For You!
Structural Problems From Mold
706-868-8886
In addition to health problems, the mold
hyphea (root system) usually will
attach itself to a surface and break that
material down over time for nutrients.  
If left on structural members
(sub-floorings, wall studs, joist
systems, etc...) mold can easily
compromise the structural integrity of
your home.